Tuesday, January 29, 2013

the guilty one

yes
it's me

i am the guilty one

it all comes back to me
no sense in pretense
the charade ends here and now
the jig is up
time to face the music
it's open and shut
case closed
time to come clean

now what ?

tried to turn myself in
the cells were full
they were understaffed
some kind of union action
well....
inaction actually

i was officially advised
which makes it for real
just like on TV
i have copies of the forms
in triplicate of course

so....
they told me
to go back where i came from
they wouldn't and couldn't deal with me
i had already done my time
i wasn't even a statistic anymore

not crazy enough to lock up
yet too far gone for help

there were plenty of folks around
that would never let me live it down

something like the mark of judas
or cain
or something
scarred across my brow

some kind of sign or symbol
that everyone could see
but for me

what it says is this....
i am the guilty one

and i must forever pay

just who did i think i was anyway ?
waking the sleeping elephant in the parlour

and telling all about it
in great and gory detail
out there beyond the bolted doors
and shuttered windows

the original sin
it seems
to speak the unspeakable
to violate the sanctity of the unsanctified
to speak the evil
i had heard and seen

what kind of loyal monkey was i anyway ?

to break the unwritten unspoken code
how was i to know this ?

it was never written down or spoken about
how was i to know ?

i was supposed to know
this is certain

how was it i didn't know ?
and the rest seemed to be born knowing ?

i don't know
never did
likely never will

in the end
it all boils down to this

i am the guilty one

yes
it's me

i am the one

No comments:

Post a Comment